Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine’s Day!




The day for me, in general, is not one I look forward to. I remember Valentine’s day in High School. You were able to purchase a carnation, which would be delivered to your ‘Valentine’ in class – thereby announcing to the world that someone liked you. All through high school I wished that someone – anyone would send me a flower. They never did.

It’s okay, I did not wind up living with hundreds of cats. I eventually got my flowers. I got my ankle bracelet, and I got my romance. So, even though there have been more years that I spent Valentine’s day alone – flowerless.. there were a few that I remember fondly. I remember a Valentine’s day, where my then boyfriend, surprised me by taking me to a Valentine’s dance – where we slow danced, kissed and ate buffet food. I remember a Valentine’s day, where I came home to find a gigantic gorilla at my doorstep holding a dozen beautiful roses. I remember a Valentine’s day, where we decided not to go out to dinner – but then at the last minute, I changed my mind. So, we got dressed up, and drove around for hours trying to find a nice place to eat – and wound up eating Chinese by candlelight watching old movies on TV.

So what does this all mean? Do I hate Valentine’s Day? Do I love it, remembering the good ones fondly? Or do I just tolerate it – looking forward to it being over? Well… that’s a good question. I guess I have to say I like it. I like what it stands for. Because you really should appreciate the people in your life – and not take their love for you for granted. So if there is a day singled out to remind you that you are lucky enough to have someone in your life who loves you.. then I am all for it, and I am looking forward to having more Valentine’s days where I can do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment